Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day drive

On Monday we went on a drive. It was such a beautiful day and we loved getting out in it for the afternoon.
Look at the wild flowers! The water is clear and cold right off the snow.


Does anyone recognize this picture? My brothers and sisters should. We went on a drive up the Mountain Loop highway. This is the cabin we lived in for a summer above Verlot when I was about 10 years old. It seems to me like it used to be green, is that right Lynn or Doris, Roy was too young to remember.... ?? Jack?
And here is Green Gables general store. They had good penny candy and I remember the night the owners shot a bear that was getting in our garbage. They hung him in the shed and gutted him so they could make a bear rug.
Anyone like skunk cabbage? It looks so pretty but you are in trouble if you bring it home for a bouquet! It stinks sooooo bad.

There was snow up on the highway. I kick myself because I didn't take a picture up further where the road was closed. The highway still had about 4 feet of snow on it where they quit plowing so we turned around and went home instead of going on to Darrington.
This is Big 4 mountain. The road to the ice caves was closed and has to be rebuilt starting this summer. There was a trail open however.
It was a beautiful drive and a wonderful Memorial Day!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow! That is very beautiful! Oh how I miss Washinginton...

janice said...

I love that drive!! So fun!

Laurence and Sidney said...

What a fun drive!! Great pictures! Love them all. I am so glad you share with us!!

Roy said...

Did you get out of the way of the car in time? I see the camera must not have gotten run over....

Unknown said...

What a beautiful fun day!

Tracy Collings said...

I can't believe how beautiful everything is there!!

Bump and Erin said...

Absolutely beautiful!